Earthquake braces invented to protect your “soft story” building.
If your soft-story building has a garage door, or gas or electric service, or lower-level parking, chances are you do not have a whole lot of room to install a steel “moment-frame” that may be needed to brace the building resist earthquakes.
- Saves space: Brace the weak wall in a typical house with a single 8-inch wide SkinnyBrace; sizes for apartment buildings currently under review for code compliance
- Easy installation & inspection: Pre-assembled, lighter and more manageable than steel frames
- No welding: Reduces inspection fees, eliminates fire hazard during welding
- Replaceable parts: Our patented “structural fuses” can be easily replaced after an earthquake
- Efficient: Advanced energy-absorbing technology allows savings throughout the structural system; for example, foundation sizes can be reduced by 60% compared to conventional solutions
- Ductile: High-strength steel absorbs earthquake energy instead of transferring it into your building, thus reducing earthquake damage.
SkinnyBraces were invented by a California structural engineer just for such buildings–real ones. We saw how much money building owners wasted on moving an electrical panel (or gas meter, sewer line, garage door opener, etc.) before they could even start installing the steel frame around their garage door opening to brace a soft story condition.
SkinnyBraces install faster than welded steel frames. All the components bolt together–no need for on-site welding (or the fire hazard and special inspection costs associated with welding). Our special connection brackets adjust to fit between existing wood framing members typically found in older buildings. In addition, built-in connection points allow you to attach a hoist for positioning the SkinnyBrace assembly.
SkinnyBraces have replaceable components. If an earthquake strikes, the patented “structural fuses” can be replaced by removing three bolts. Our next competitor’s product that claims to have replaceable parts requires removing 40 to 48 bolts! And our other competitor? Well, during a quake their steel frame simply becomes a 2,500-pound piece of trash that you have to remove and replace (possibly even jack-hammering out the concrete foundation it is anchored to).
SkinnyBraces far exceed earthquake loading standards. If you want to embrace your inner nerd, check out our Technical Info section. Otherwise, know that when industry standards require a safety factor of at least 2-1/2, SkinnyBraces have safety factors as high as 4-1/2.
- Southern California earthquake was unlikely triggered by Hurricane Hilary - September 15, 2023
- El mortal terremoto de Marruecos fue el resultado de la continua colisión de África con Europa - September 14, 2023
- Le tremblement de terre meurtrier au Maroc résulte de la collision actuelle entre l’Afrique et l’Europe - September 14, 2023