Upcoming Event with Temblor presentation
“Innovations in Earthquake Preparedness” event will be held at UC Berkeley with Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom at 1-3 pm on February 11; all are welcome
Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom championed earthquake safety as Mayor of San Francisco, and as Lt. Governor, remains committed to seismic resilience for all Californians. In 2009, he launched the hugely successful mandatory retrofit program for the City: “Although there is no such thing as an earthquake-proof building, engineers agree that proper seismic retrofitting can give buildings a fighting chance against a sizeable earthquake. Now we must act decisively to protect our homes and workplaces.”
The other speakers will be:
• Ross Stein, CEO and cofounder of http://temblor.net, who is also Consulting Professor of Geophysics at Stanford University, and cofounder of the Global Earthquake Model (GEM Foundation).
• Ken Goldberg, architect of http://quakecafe.org/, who is also Director of the CITRIS People and Robots Initiative, Professor in the College of Engineering, Art Practice, and School of Information, UC Berkeley, and Professor, Radiation Oncology, UC San Francisco
• Amina Assefa, Manager of UC Berkeley’s Office of Emergency Management. Amina worked extensively in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans and Oakland are about the same size and character, providing invaluable experience for the next large Hayward fault quake, which looms on the horizon.
• Peggy Hellweg, Project Manager for the Earthquake Early Warning activities of the Seismological Lab of UC Berkeley, and is also a Commissioner on the California Seismic Safety Commission, which focuses on the seismic needs of the state, and promotes regulations, economic recovery, and home sale seismic disclosure.
- Southern California earthquake was unlikely triggered by Hurricane Hilary - September 15, 2023
- El mortal terremoto de Marruecos fue el resultado de la continua colisión de África con Europa - September 14, 2023
- Le tremblement de terre meurtrier au Maroc résulte de la collision actuelle entre l’Afrique et l’Europe - September 14, 2023